Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Quality ingredients will make the difference with these chocolate covered, coffee ice cream bon bons. They require three separate stages, but each one is quite simple and the finished product looks professional! NOTE: THERE IS APPROX 30-60 MIN FREEZE TIME BETWEEN EACH STAGE!
- 1 quart coffee ice cream (chocolate works, too!)
- 14 ounces dark chocolate, chopped (semisweet or bittersweet)
- 2 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap and freeze the empty pan.
- Dip a melon baller or a cookie scoop in hot water and scoop a 1” ice cream ball.
- Place the ball on the frozen baking sheet.
- Repeat for 40 balls. (Work quickly!).
- Place the tray in the freezer for a least 1 hour until they set.
- Using a 1 foot square piece of foam, skewer each ball with a toothpick and stand it upright in the foam.
- Repeat for all 40, working quickly.
- Return the ice cream balls to the freezer and re-freeze until completely set.
- In the meantime, place the chopped dark chocolate in a small bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir the chocolate until it melts completely smooth.
- Set the melted chocolate aside until it is barely warm. This is the important part. Too hot and it will run right off the ice cream. Too cold and it will harden and be unusable.
- Coat the ice cream balls completely in the melted chocolate.
- Hold to drip clean and stand back on the foam. (You may need to do this in sections to prevent melting.).
- When all are done, freeze once again for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the white chocolate in a different bowl, using the same method.
- Pour the white chocolate into a small plastic storage bag and stab a hole in the corner with a toothpick. (Scissor cut will be too much!).
- Drizzle the white chocolate in angled “stripes” back and forth across each ball.
- Freeze once again for at least 30 minutes.
- Once plated, serve immediately.