Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
How do you make homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker? Kick the can! Also known as Roll-the-Can and Coffee-Can Ice Cream, this is fun to make and great fun for kids. We made this when I worked with Girl Scouts. Recipe found in a newspaper called Country World.
- For Freezer:.
- 3-pound can with lid (I used coffee can) and a 1-pound can with lid use coffee can. Rock or table salt and a kitchen spatula.
- Wash out the cans.
- In the smaller can, mix the whipping cream, half-and-half, sugar and vanilla. Cover with lid and place in center of larger can.
- Pack a layer of crushed ice around smaller can. Sprinkle ice liberally with salt and alternately add layers of ice and salt to fill larger can. Cover with lid.
- Choose a hard, level surface like a table, driveway, or cement walk and roll the can back and forth for 10 minutes. (Don't let them get carried away and make the can come open!).
- Use a spatula to scrape ice cream from side of the center. Discard melted ice. Put smaller can back in larger can and add more ice and salt.
- Roll for 5 more minutes; taste.