Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I've tried many recipes for the homemade version. This one comes the closest to what my taste buds like.
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers (about 28 little saltine squares)
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried celery flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Mix all ingredients in food processor and whirl until blended.
- Store in refrigerator.
- When ready to use, dip chicken pieces in 1/2 cup of evaporated milk and then coat with Shake-n-Bake mixture.
- Place chicken in shallow pan, skin side up.
- Bake in 375°F oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes spray chicken with a light misting of oil (Pam or generic brand will do).
- Return to oven and bake about 20 minutes longer or until juices run clear.
- NOTE: If using boneless breasts they won't take as long to cook as thighs or legs.
Thanks for posting- this will save me from buying so many boxes of Shake N Bake at the store! :)
I have never bought the real thing, but we love it. I used it in a casserole that called for coating chicken in Shake n Bake. Loved the flavor. Thanks for the good Idea!
5 Star for a doityourself shake n bake. I have to admit that I kind of throw the stuff into the bag and I may not have had every ingredient - but boy, did it come out tasty!!! The whole family LOVED it! I am keeping this one for sure and will try it on some other meats besides chicken at some point. I did, however, add more paprika though. I had celery salt and added that. Great texture.