Recipe by lindseylcw
A simple recipe to add eastern flavour to ordinary chicken breasts from Manju Malhi
Top Review by currybunny
Very lovely curry - mild but with beutifully balanced and melded flavours. I used Kashmiri chilli powder and followed the recipe exactly; the only thing I'd do differently next time is to use thigh meat. Quick, simple weeknight meal - thank you for posting!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 30 g cashew nuts, ground
- 150 ml plain yogurt, whipped
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- heat the oil in a heavy based pan, add the bay leaves, cinnamon, cardamons, cloves and cumin. When they begin to sizzle, tip in the onions and fry for 5 mins until onions become soft
- add the ginger and garlic followed by the chicken, cook for 4-5 mins.
- mix in the turmeric, chilli powder and salt.
- fold the cashew nuts into the yoghurt and stir into the chicken.
- pour 200ml of just boiled water into chicken mix and cook for 6-8 mins until the oil rises to the top and the chicken is cooked.
- just before serving sprinkle with the coriander leaves, serve with naan bread or chapatis.