Top Review by Leggy Peggy
Delicious and mild korma that I made with lamb. Cut the oil back to 4 tablespoons, which was plenty, and used ordinary cumin. Step 15 threw me a bit. The total time stated at the top of the recipe was 1 hour, but the simmering noted in step 15 was also 1 hour. That will teach me to read through the entire recipe before I start. Anyway, dinner was quite late, but we all loved it. Served as part of a curry feast. Thanks so much. Look forward to trying some of your other recipes.
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 fresh ginger (1" cubes)
- 5 tablespoons slivered almonds, blanched
- 1 cup water or 1 cup beef broth
- 7 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs boned lamb or 2 lbs beef, cut into 1" cubes
- 10 whole cardamom pods
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (1 inch long)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 2 teaspoons black ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the garlic, ginger, almonds, and 6 tablespoons water in a blender and blend until you have a paste.
- Heat the oil in a wide, heavy, preferable non-stick pot or wok over a medium-high heat.
- When hot. put in just enough meat pieces so they lie, uncrowded in a single layer.
- Brown the meat pieces on all sides, then remove them with a slotted spoon and put them in a bowl.
- Brown all the meat this way.
- Put the cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon into the hot oil.
- Within seconds the cloves will expand.
- Now put in the onions.
- Stir and fry the onions until they turn a brownish color.
- Turn the heat down to medium.
- Put in the paste from the blender as well as the coriander, cumin, and cayenne.
- Stir and fry this mixture for 3-4 minutes or until it too has browned somewhat.
- Now put in the meat cubes as well as any liquid that might have accumulated in the meat bowl, the salt, the cream, and rest of the water or broth (a bit more for beef).
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, turn heat to low and simmer lamb for 1 hour and beef for 2 hours.
- Stir frequently during this cooking period.
- Skim off any fat that floats to the top.
- Sprinkle in the garam masala and mix.