Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is one of my originals. I shared this with a good friend who posted it elsewhere on the web. The Carolina BBQ rub recipe can be found on about.com. It is not my recipe so I won't post it here. Mashed potatoes and a green salad or cooked veggie go well with this chicken.
For the bird
- 6 -7 lbs chicken, Purdue Oven Stuffer Roaster, giblets removed
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning, Carolina Barbecue rub
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary (6 inches each)
- 2 sprigs fresh sage (3 inches each)
- 2 small onions, about 2 inches in diameter
- black pepper
For the Gravy
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup Burgundy wine
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Remove the giblets from the bird and rinse the chicken well, inside and out.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Using your fingers, starting at the open end of the chicken, separate the skin from the meat over the breast.
- Use great care not to tear skin.
- Rub half of the barbecue rub on the meat under the skin.
- Place the onions, rosemary, sage, and 1/4 of remaining rub in the chicken, DO NOT SEW OR TRUSS CLOSED.
- Sprinkle black pepper to taste over breast of chicken.
- Sprinkle kosher salt over breast of chicken.
- Sprinkle last 1/4 of barbecue rub over chicken.
- Place in a 4 quart cast iron Dutch oven that has been well oiled with olive oil.
- Place in 300°F oven.
- Cook for about 3 hours until pop-up timer pops.
- Remove bird to a platter and keep warm.
- Place Dutch oven on burner over medium high heat.
- Mix 3 tbsp flour in 1 teacup of water until smooth.
- Add to liquid in the Dutch oven.
- Mix the wine in quickly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir constantly until reduced and slightly thickened.
- Slice chicken and serve with gravy.