Recipe by Chef Shadows
CAJUN : Source: Shadows, adapted from the "Frugal Gourmet". File' may be found in most ethnic markets ( it is a sassafras based seasoning). There has been debate about the use of "Bay Leaf" in the original southern recipes for this dish, I have found it used and not used... Cooking time does not include overnight soak.
Top Review by Crochet Mama
This was perfect! I didn't use as much Tabasco, only because I wanted my five-year-old to try it. He said it was good, but that he'd rather have chicken nuggets. The adults all ate two bowls, though! I used a smoked ham hock, and a touch more file' in the rice.
- 1⁄2 lb red beans, small
- 1⁄2 lb ham hocks or 1⁄2 lb smoked ham
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄8 lb butter or 1⁄8 lb margarine
- pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
For the rice
- 1 cup raw rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon file powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the beans overnight in water to cover.
- Drain and place in a heavy kettle.
- Add the ham,onion,celery,parsley, bay leaves, and garlic, and add water to the pot barely to cover contents.
- Bring to a boil, and then turn to simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for 2 hours.
- You may need to add a little water to keep from sticking.
- After the first 2 hours of cooking, add the butter, pepper, Worcestershire, and tabasco to the pot.
- Cover and cook on very low heat for 1 more hour.
- Serve over white rice cooked the following way:.
- This step should be preformed while the beans are cooking.
- Raw rice.
- Rinse rice 3 times in cold water.
- Add chicken boulion cube.
- Add tabasco sauce.
- Add file'.
- Bring rice to boil over medium high heat in water with boulion, tabasco, and file'.
- When bubbles disapear from the surface of the rice turn heat to low and cover.
- Let let cook for 20 minutes on this low heat.
- Remove from heat and let stand for at least 10 minutes but not more the 30 minutes.