1/1 Photo of Shadow's Red Beans and Rice
3 hrs 20 mins
Chef Shadows's Note:
CAJUN : Source: Shadows, adapted from the "Frugal Gourmet". File' may be found in most ethnic markets ( it is a sassafras based seasoning). There has been debate about the use of "Bay Leaf" in the original southern recipes for this dish, I have found it used and not used... Cooking time does not include overnight soak.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb red beans, small
- 1/2 lb ham hocks or 1/2 lb smoked ham
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/8 lb butter or 1/8 lb margarine
- pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
For the rice
- 1Soak the beans overnight in water to cover.
- 2Drain and place in a heavy kettle.
- 3Add the ham,onion,celery,parsley, bay leaves, and garlic, and add water to the pot barely to cover contents.
- 4Bring to a boil, and then turn to simmer.
- 5Simmer uncovered for 2 hours.
- 6You may need to add a little water to keep from sticking.
- 7After the first 2 hours of cooking, add the butter, pepper, Worcestershire, and tabasco to the pot.
- 8Cover and cook on very low heat for 1 more hour.
- 9Serve over white rice cooked the following way:.
- 10This step should be preformed while the beans are cooking.
- 11Raw rice.
- 12Rinse rice 3 times in cold water.
- 13Add chicken boulion cube.
- 14Add tabasco sauce.
- 15Add file'.
- 16Bring rice to boil over medium high heat in water with boulion, tabasco, and file'.
- 17When bubbles disapear from the surface of the rice turn heat to low and cover.
- 18Let let cook for 20 minutes on this low heat.
- 19Remove from heat and let stand for at least 10 minutes but not more the 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shadow's Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 594.8
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.4 mg
- Sodium 250.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 114.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: