Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Shadow's Cheese Fries recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 small onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce, such as A1
- 1 pinch dried habanero chile, crushed
- 2 lbs French fries
- 1 cup colby cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese
- 6 pieces cooked bacon
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil, to cover (I use olive)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- Prepare dipping sauce and chill.
- In a skillet cook the bacon with the butter until almost crisp. Remove from skillet. Add onion chopped fine, sugar, garlic, steak sauce, and crushed pepper to the skillet and sauté until onion is limp and translucent. Set aside.
- Heat oil to 350°F, if you don't have a thermostat, make sure the oil is hot enough so that when a fry is placed in the pan it cooks cook immediately, if the fry sinks to the bottom and barely bubbles it is not hot enough. Fry the potatoes in small batches, they are done when they float and are golden brown. Drain potatoes on paper towels. You can keep them in the oven to stay warm.
- When all the fries are done place them on an oven proof plater. Salt the fries. Top with the bacon crumbled and onion mixture, more steak sauce, and cheese. Place into a warm oven until cheese melts. Serve with the dipping sauce.
- Note: You can cook your fries in the oven if you want for a fat free version, follow the directions on your bag of fries for the temps and times for this method.
- This will serve from 4 - 8 folks.