Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A soup that my boyfriend Andrey ordered from this restaurant tonight. It was pretty tasty! From Shadowbrook's web site.
- 1 lb frozen artichoke heart (or 17 oz. canned, drained)
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium leek, sliced (white only)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
- 1⁄3 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Cook vegetables, including frozen artichoke hearts if used, in water until soft, approx 10-12 minutes.
- In blender, purée cooked vegetables (add canned artichoke hearts here, if used) and optional garlic.
- Return to pot.
- Add the herbs and stock.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Make a roux with the melted butter and flour over medium heat.
- Add the half and half, stirring until smooth.
- Add to soup.
- Add the heavy cream.
- Bring soup back up to boil and season with salt, pepper and fresh lemon juice to taste.
- To thin soup, add half and half. To thicken, add more roux.