Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is one of the few pasta dishes that turn out well - delicious, even - on the shabbat hot plate. It should also turn out great without the shabbat hot plate by baking it longer (see notes). It is also very easy to prepare.
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Pour pasta into 9-inch square baking pan (22 cm). It won't all fit, but the amount that will fit depends on which type of pasta - if using large penne, for example, less pasta will fit in that if using elbow macaroni.
- Add the cottage cheese, the crushed tomatoes, and the olives. Mix well.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella on top.
- Cover with aluminium foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until cheese melts.
- To warm on shabbat, place on shabbat hot plate two hours before serving.
- Note 1: if not using this on a shabbat hot plate, bake for at least an hour - until all the liquids have been absorbed.
- Note 2: I didn't add any spices because I found the taste great, but dried oregano, fresh or dried basil, and dried thyme, are all great additions.
- Note 3: I put 500 gr pasta because you will definitely have enough, but in most cases there will be leftover pasta. Large penne - about 250 gr will be enough. Fusili - about 350 gr - 400 gr will be enough. Snaller pasta - like elbow macaroni - will probably use most of the 500 gr.