Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
You can vary this by including different vegetables and brushing the chicken with different sauces near the end of the cooking time. People who aren't thrilled with rice usually enjoy this way of preparing it, the rice takes on a delicious chickeny flavor. Brown or white rice are equally good here.
- 1 chicken, cut up and skin removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw rice, not quick cooking
- 3 tablespoons onion soup mix, divided
- 3 tablespoons Italian dressing, oil and vinegar type, can be fat free
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- Pour rice into the bottom of a 9x13" glass baking dish. Sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons of the onion soup mix.
- Add the Italian dressing, the wine and the water.
- Gently put in the chicken parts. Can be touching in the pan.
- Sprinkle chicken with the remaining 1 Tablespoon of the onion soup mix and whatever spices you'd like.
- Cover tightly with foil and carefully put into oven.
- Bake one hour at 375.
- Remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes, until chicken is browned and liquid is absorbed by the rice. Can brush chicken with sauce or add other seasonings when removing cover. Remove foil carefully, the pan will release steam.
I make this recipe constantly! The kids really enjoy the flavorful rice. I've also tried it with mushroom soup mix, makes the rice taste a little risotto-y. This recipe always works and is always a hit.
this is very similar to my moms recipe...I still think hers is bettter, but this one is pretty good too.