Blue Plate Special's Note:
A great make ahead recipe for Chanukah or other occasions where you'd rather not be in the kitchen while you have dinner guests over.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 1/4 cups dry red wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons orange peel, grated
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- beef brisket, trimmed of fat
- 1 lb mushroom, halved or quartered
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- 2To make Brisket: In a roasting pan which the brisket fits comfortably, stir together soup mix, wine, water and flour until blended.
- 3Stir in basil, thyme, marmalade, orange peel, sugar, garlic and pepper.
- 4Add brisket, and turn in sauce to thoroughly coat.
- 5Cover and bake for 4 hours, basting every hour until tender when pierced with a fork.
- 6Remove from oven and place brisket on a sheet of heavy foil.
- 7Pour sauce into a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- 8When brisket is cool, wrap in foil and refrigerate overnight, up to 2 days or freeze.
- 9To serve Brisket: 2-3 hours before serving.
- 10Remove brisket from refrigerate and slice thinly against the grain. (If frozen allow to first defrost in refrigerator overnight).
- 11Overlap slices in a shallow, ovenproof dish that is just large enough to hold them.
- 12Top meat with mushrooms.
- 13Remove solidified fat from sauce and discard. Pour sauce over meat.
- 14Preheat oven to 325 degrees while allowing the brisket to come to room temperature.
- 15Cover with foil and bake for approximately 40 minutes (until mushrooms are tender) basting once.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shabbat Brisket
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 105.3
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 368.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 2.5 g