Prep 24 hrs
Cook 5 hrs
A great make ahead recipe for Chanukah or other occasions where you'd rather not be in the kitchen while you have dinner guests over.
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄3 cup orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons orange peel, grated
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- beef brisket, trimmed of fat
- 1 lb mushroom, halved or quartered
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- To make Brisket: In a roasting pan which the brisket fits comfortably, stir together soup mix, wine, water and flour until blended.
- Stir in basil, thyme, marmalade, orange peel, sugar, garlic and pepper.
- Add brisket, and turn in sauce to thoroughly coat.
- Cover and bake for 4 hours, basting every hour until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove from oven and place brisket on a sheet of heavy foil.
- Pour sauce into a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- When brisket is cool, wrap in foil and refrigerate overnight, up to 2 days or freeze.
- To serve Brisket: 2-3 hours before serving.
- Remove brisket from refrigerate and slice thinly against the grain. (If frozen allow to first defrost in refrigerator overnight).
- Overlap slices in a shallow, ovenproof dish that is just large enough to hold them.
- Top meat with mushrooms.
- Remove solidified fat from sauce and discard. Pour sauce over meat.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees while allowing the brisket to come to room temperature.
- Cover with foil and bake for approximately 40 minutes (until mushrooms are tender) basting once.