Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from my blog, Desserts from Around the Globe, where I'm trying to prepare one dessert from every country of the world. Shëndetlie me mjaltë is a pastry typical for Albania - the second country from my blog.
- Beat the eggs and the sugar with an electric mixer until the mixture thickens and turns a very pale yellow. Add butter, 3/4 of the nuts (ground or chopped), honey, soda and flour.
- Continue by kneading the dough with your hands, but it should remain soft and fluffy (not like cookie dough).
- Put the dough in a pan, smooth it with a spatula and bake at 180°C for 35-40 minutes or until the surface is light brown. Take it out of the oven and let it cool.
- For syrup, boil the water with the sugar and some vanilla for about 7 minutes, until it thickens, and continue stirring it the entire time. Let it cool down for a bit, until it is mildly warm and still relatively liquid.
- When the pastry is cool, pour the syrup over and sprinkle everything with the remaining nuts. Let the whole thing cool down, so the syrup really thickens.