Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
It is difficult to describe this in English. Its a cross between a souffle, mash and puree. It has the sweet taste of carrots with the fluffy texture of egg whites. For a vegetarian version subsitute Pecorini for parmesan.
- 400 g carrots, chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 25 g parmesan cheese, grated
For the bechamel sauce
- 30 g butter, plus extra for topping
- 25 g plain flour
- 500 ml milk
- preheat oven to 200C/400°F.
- Cook the carrots in boiling water until tender.
- Meanwhile melt the butter in a small pan and add the flour, stirring over over a low heat to make a paste or roux.
- gradually add the milk stirring constantly then increase the heat and stir until the sauce thickens. If desired add nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- drain the carrots and mash or puree.
- Whish the egg whites and stir into the sauce.
- Stir the sauce into the carrots and mix well.
- Pour into an ovenproof dish and bake for 10 minutes.
- Top with the cheese and dot the top with butter. Bake for a further ten mins until a crust forms on top.