1/1 Photo of Sfogliatelle
1 hr 35 mins
The Italian classic cheese pastry filled and delicately flavored inside, crisp and crunchy outside. You have probably heard this pastry mentioned on The Sopranos. Sfogliatelle is pronouned something like (shvwee-ah-dell).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift flour and salt and turn into bowl.
- 2Cut in shortening with fingers to mealy consistency.
- 3Add enough water (approx. 1/2 c) to hold mixture together.
- 4Dough should be not too hard or too soft (similar to egg noodle dough).
- 5Knead well several minutes.
- 6Form into ball and refrigerate for 30 minutes to enable it to lose elasticity and roll out easily.
- 7Roll dough very thin on lightly floured board into rectangular pice measuring about 28 x 24 inches.
- 8Cut edges evenly, then cut into 4 pieces lengthwise, 28 x 6 inches.
- 9Using a brush, spread melted shortening generously and evenly over one strip, top with second strip and spread with shortening.
- 10Repeat with the third and fourth strips, separating each strip by a layer of shortening.
- 11Let shortening cool and set.
- 12Using great care, roll four strips together, as for jelly roll, starting from shorter end.
- 13Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate about 15 minutes.
- 15wax paper and cut ends evenly using a short thing knige.
- 16Cut roll into 12 1/2 inch pieces (For easier cutting, dip knife in flour before cutting dough).
- 17Slices will resemble narrow rolls of ribbon.
- 18Place on lightly floured board and sprinkle lightly with flour.
- 19Gently place rolling pin a center of slice and roll out from center toward left.
- 20Return rolling pin to center and roll out from center toward right.
- 21The slice, fromerly round, will be a larger and thinger oval shape.
- 22Gently roll again from center toward top with one stroke and from center toward bottom with one stroke.
- 23The oval should measure about 7 1/2 inches at its longest part.
- 24Placed prepared oval on lightly floured board, rolled side down.
- 25Proceed as above with the other pieces, arranging finished ovals on board, side by side.
- 26Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 27Drain ricotta through cheese cloth until quite dry.
- 28Place in bowl, stir in remaining ingredients and blend throroughly.
- 29Place a tablespoons or two of ricotta mixture on lower half of each oval, wet edges of dough with a little egg white and fold over filling, bringing narrow edges together to form a shell-like shape.
- 30Press edges together tightly to seal in filling.
- 31Brush each shell with melted shortening.
- 32Bake about 15 minutes, then quickly brush more melted shortening over shells using light, gentle strokes.
- 33Close oven door quickly, lower heat to 350 and bake another 20 minutes.
- 34Brush once more with shortening.
- 35Pastries will puff up and have a beautiful golden color showing shell-like ribs or lines.
- 36Lower heat to 250 and bake another 5 to 10 minutes.
- 37Cool on rack.
- 38When cold, dust with confectioners sugar.
Nutritional Facts for Sfogliatelle
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 438.3
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 60.0 mg
- Sodium 161.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: