These delicious, exotic pizzas are traditional in Lebanon and Syria. They make perfect appetizers or entrees.
My Private Note
mini pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried mint or 1 teaspoon oregano (optional) or 1 teaspoon anise, seeds. (optional)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 -2 onion, finely chopped and drained of juices
- 1 chili pepper, finely chopped
- 18 ounces ground lamb or 18 ounces beef
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate concentrate
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (or chopped walnuts)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (optional)
- 2Dissolve the yeast with the sugar in 1/2 cup of the water, leave in a warm place for 10 minutes, or until it begins to froth.
- 3Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl and stir in the olive oil. Add the yeast mixture and slowly add enough of the remaining water to hold the dough together in a ball.
- 4Knead vigorously for about 10 minutes until the dough comes off the sides of the bowl and becomes smooth and elastic. Towards the end of the kneading, add the flavorings, if desired.
- 5Pour a small amount (1/2 tablespoon) of olive oil in the bowl and roll the dough in it to grease it over.
- 6Leave in a warm area for 1-1/2 - 2 hours. (should be doubled in size).
- 7Cut the dough into 9 pieces and roll each out thinly on a flat floured surface. Roll out to 7 inch circles.
- 8Place the rounds on oiled baking sheets and brush with egg whites. Cook in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 minutes, turn over and brush the other side with egg whites. cook for another 8 minutes.
- 9Let them cool enough to handle.
- 10Mix the filling ingredients together and work with your hands into a soft paste. Take even lumps of the mixture and spread thickly over each pastry round.
- 11Bake in the oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
- 12Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sfiha (Arab Pizza)
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1003.6
- Calories from Fat 525
- Total Fat 58.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.2 g
- Cholesterol 99.2 mg
- Sodium 713.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 36.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: