Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is from Silvana Franco's book "Family" which I love. I made these for brunch yesterday and we loved them so much that we had them again today!
- 1 plum tomato, thickly sliced
- 1 slice thick ciabatta or 1 slice any other rustic bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 small red chili, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup snipped chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Heat a ridged griddle pan.
- Lightly brush the tomato slices and bread with some olive oil.
- Cook the tomato slices first, for at least 5 minutes.
- When they are almost ready, toast the bread in the same pan until well bar-marked.
- In the meantime, pour a little olive oil into a small frying pan and crack in the egg.
- Allow it to set for a minute or so and add the garlic and chilli.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, spooning the hot oil over the egg until cooked to your liking.
- Place the griddled bread on a plate and quickly spoon the tomatoes on top.
- Throw the chives into the egg pan and splash in the balsamic vinegar.
- Season well, then slide the egg on to the tomatoes and drizzle the pan juices on top.
- Serve immediately, with a good cup of tea!
I love my Sunday Brunch and today's was extra good - This is a wonderful recipe. Just a few small things make it a special taste treat. I used an Italian Pannini bread for under the eggs, Roma tomatoes fried about 2 minutes each side and the eggs left soft in the center. Do not miss out on that dash of balsamic that is one of the flavor secrets. I served them with Crock Pot carmelized onions Mmmmm Loved my brunch thanks HappyBunny for posting