This is from Silvana Franco's book "Family" which I love. I made these for brunch yesterday and we loved them so much that we had them again today!
- Heat a ridged griddle pan.
- Lightly brush the tomato slices and bread with some olive oil.
- Cook the tomato slices first, for at least 5 minutes.
- When they are almost ready, toast the bread in the same pan until well bar-marked.
- In the meantime, pour a little olive oil into a small frying pan and crack in the egg.
- Allow it to set for a minute or so and add the garlic and chilli.
- Cook for a couple of minutes, spooning the hot oil over the egg until cooked to your liking.
- Place the griddled bread on a plate and quickly spoon the tomatoes on top.
- Throw the chives into the egg pan and splash in the balsamic vinegar.
- Season well, then slide the egg on to the tomatoes and drizzle the pan juices on top.
- Serve immediately, with a good cup of tea!