Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
There are many, many versions of Seviyan (& spelling), you will find it differs from house to house & of course there are regional variations. Seviyan is the name of the toasted vermicelli used to make sweets aswell as savoury dishes in countries such as Pakistan & India. It is eaten throughout the year but comes into it's own during Ramadan. This is great fro Suhor (the morning meal before dawn) or as a desset after Iftar (the evening meal). I also like to make this a little drier & reduce the sugar somewhat. Recently I discovered that it's fun to swap the almonds & pistachios for a handful of prepared 'tropical fruit & nut mix' like you find in the health food shops & supermarkets). Seviyan is easy to find in most Asian supermarkets as well as the international isle in your regular supermarket - where it'll be sold as Pakistani Vermicelli. I most recently bought mine from Tesco in the UK - 2 packs for 50p
- Place oil in a medium sauce pan, break the vermicelli into inch-long pieces (I find it easy to lay on a chopping board & slice with a large chefs knife) and add to the pan.
- Cook the vermicelli over a medium heat, stirring occasionally. When the vermicelli has browned to a walnut colour - about 5 minutes, add the milk and almonds.
- Gently bash the cardamom pods with a rolling pin or bottom of a heavy pan to release the seeds. Add the seeds to the cooking pan & add the sugar.
- Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes over medium heat. The vermicelli will begin to soak up the milk. Check every 5 minutes to see how much milk has been absorbed & be careful to stir occasionally.
- When the milk is almost completely absorbed, turn the heat as low as will go & cook with the lid off for around 10 minutes or until the noodles are separated.
- Serve warm in small bowls topped with the pistachios. To make this a creamy dessert, you can also spoon over a little single cream or evaporated milk!
- (If using the mixed fruit & nut add half of it at the time when the almonds are added & the remainder to decorate like the pistachios).