Recipe by SusieQusie
Adopted from Recipezaar account 9/15/2006. Original author = Mean Chef.
Top Review by EdsGirlAngie
Delicious! Buttery and rich with orange flavor (being an orange fan, this makes me verrrry happy!) Since there are only 2 of us I halved the recipe (didn't know how long it would keep) and served it on English muffins. I quickly discovered that there's no need for extra butter on the muffin since this almost melts right on the hot bread ... mmmmmmm! At one point early in the recipe I didn't think it was going to work for me but I went by the cook time, and sure enough, in 15 minutes all was well and perfect. Thanks for a great orange recipe, Mean!
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 2 seville oranges, juice and zest of, finely grated (see note)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs, yolks and sugar in a wide, shallow saucepan until smooth.
- Add butter, orange juice and zest.
- Place over low heat, and stir constantly until butter has melted and mixture has thickened.
- (If mixture begins to curdle, place bottom of pan in cold water, and beat vigorously.) Remove thickened curd from heat, and pour through a fine strainer into a bowl.
- Set aside to cool.
- Note: A substitute for Seville orange juice may be made by combining 2 parts orange juice to 1 part lime juice.