1/48 Photos of Severed Fingers Halloween Cookies
1 hr 12 mins
This recipe is from Martha Stewart, so not only do they look cool but they also have fantastic flavor--not too dry or hard. Even though they are soft inside, they aren't too, too fragile.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with Silpats (French nonstick baking mats) or parchment paper, and set aside.
- 2Place food coloring in a shallow bowl. crack each whole almond into halves. and toss them into the bowl with the food coloring and stir them until the color is evenly distributed. leave them in the bowl and stir them every so often until the color is as dark as you like.
- 3Separate 1 egg. Set aside the white. In a small bowl, whisk together yolk, remaining egg, and vanilla. Set aside.
- 4In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter, confectioners' sugar, granulated sugar, and salt. Beat on medium speed until well combined. Add egg mixture, and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the flour, and mix on low speed just until incorporated. Wrap the dough in plastic, and chill until firm, 20 to 30 minutes.
- 5Divide the dough in half. Work with one piece at a time, keeping remaining dough covered with plastic wrap and chilled. Divide the first half into fifteen pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece back and forth with palms into finger shapes, 3 to 4 inches long. Pinch dough in two places to form knuckles. Score each knuckle lightly with the back of a small knife. Transfer fingers to prepared baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 6When all fingers are formed, brush lightly with egg white. Position almond nails; push into dough to attach.
- 7Bake until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Cool completely.
- 8note: To make the knuckles more creepy just shape them big and uneven. To keep them from puffing out too much roll the fingers extra skinny (skinnier than you want them to look if that makes sense). I also try to get them out of the oven before they brown. I sometimes add a bit of almond extract to dough.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Severed Fingers Halloween Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.5
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 41.0 mg
- Sodium 74.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 2.8 g