Recipe by Ackman
Not sure where my wife got this recipe, but it's become a favorite of ours & I'm putting it on the Zaar for safe keeping! I'm NOT a big salad eater, but I LOVE this!!! Especially good when made with fresh, homegrown veggies! We're not crazy about green peppers, so you can omit or sub whatever you like for them. For the bacon, we prefer the thick sliced & we bake it on a broiler pan, instead of frying it...less grease, that way.
- 1 medium head lettuce
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 10 slices bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled
- 1 cup salad dressing (Mayo makes it taste different)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups medium cheddar, shredded fine
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash/rinse the veggies in cold water.
- Mix the salad dressing, sour cream & sugar together in a small bowl & set aside.
- Tear the lettuce as you would for a salad. (Hint: tearing the lettuce, instead of cutting it with a knife, keeps it fresher longer -- don't ask me why.).
- In a large bowl, layer all the veggies IN ORDER a little of each, ending with some lettuce on top.
- Sprinkle the crumbled bacon on top of the last layer of lettuce.
- Pour & spread the dressing mixture on over the bacon.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top of the dressing mixture.
- Cover with plastic wrap & refridgerate for at least 2 hours -- overnight is best.
- You can either toss it lightly or serve it just in layers.