Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from BHG. A great side dish for pork or chicken.
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon rose water (optional)
- Add oil to a medium saucepan and allow to heat.
- Add in onion; stir/saute until tender.
- Add in uncooked rice, and the next 7 ingredients.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the rice is golden.
- Add in the vegetable broth and water.
- Bring to a boil; lower the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in chopped spinach, raisins, and almonds; adjust seasoning to taste--salt/pepper, etc --
- Sprinkle with rose water, if desired.
I used basmati rice and only had pork stock on hand. What a fantastic recipe! The spinach and almonds were perfect. This will definately become a staple. Thanks!