Top Review by ColCadsMom
Perfect recipe for perfect frosting! I used 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 teaspoon coconut extract since I was making coconut cake (used recipe#69630). I also added 1 Tablespoon of light corn syrup to the mixture, just because my Mom always did. But she boiled her ingredients using a candy thermometer, and then beat the ingredients after. This recipe yeilds the PERFECT fluffy creamy marshmallow-y frosting, that sets up to the EXACT consistency. Thank you posting such a WONDERFUL frosting recipe!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the sugar, cream of tartar, salt, egg whites, and water in a large mixing bowl or double boiler of at least a 2-quart capacity.
- Set over simmering, not boiling, water over moderate heat.
- Beat with a hand electric mixer at high speed for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the frosting stands in definite peaks when the beater is lifted.
- Remove from the water and continue beating for several minutes, until the frosting has cooled and no longer feels hot to your finger, and stands in soft, smooth, billowy peaks.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- You will have enough to generously fill and frost an 8 or 9 inch two-layer cake or a 9 or 10 inch tube cake.