Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
The original recipe is from Francesca's Gourmet Catering and Cafe. Wonderful bars!
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 16 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 pinch salt
Oatmeal Hazelnut Layer
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 9 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 cups oatmeal
- 9 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 3⁄4 cup hazelnuts
- 1 (7 ounce) bag flaked coconut
- 8 3⁄4 ounces jars caramel sauce
- 1 (18 ounce) jar raspberry jam
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spread hazelnuts on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 6 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove from tray and place in a clean towel.
- Rub to remove skins.
- Coarsely chop nuts and set aside.
- Turn oven up to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine the 3/4 cup unsalted butter, 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar and salt.
- Mix until small clumps form.
- Sprinkle mixture into a 9 x 13 inch pan and pat evenly over bottom and 1/2 way up sides of pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes and golden brown.
- Remove and set aside.
- In a double boiler over simmering water melt the chocolate and butter together, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in condensed milk and salt and whisk to smooth.
- Spread over baked shortbread crust.
- In a large bowl cream together the 1/2 cup butter and the 1 cup brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract-cream again.
- Ad 1/2 cup plul 1 T.
- flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, oatmeal, whole wheat and toasted hazelnuts and mix gently.
- Add the lemon zest and mix again.
- Set aside.
- To finish assembling: Sprinkle coconut evenly over the chocolate covered crust.
- Drizzle the caramel over coconut.
- Stir the jam well and spread over the caramel.
- Heat the marshmallow cream in a microwave to make it just spreadable and layer this over the jam.
- Using your fingers crumble spoon sized pieces of the hazelnut-oat mixture on top of marshmallow cream.
- Do not totally cover cream.
- You want the other layers to bubble through.
- Leftover mixture can be baked as drop cookies or frozen for later use.
- Bake bars for 15 minutes, turning the pan once after 7 minutes for even baking.
- Cool completely and use a hot knife to cut into bars.