Recipe by Bev
With the Super Bowl coming up, we are all looking for the best party dip! Look no further, you have found it! Serve this bean, cheese, sour cream, and salsa dip with homemade or purchased tortilla chips. From Better Homes & Gardens
Top Review by Sassy Sandra
This dip was very good. I made it for a get together I had for my son's birhtday last weekend, and it really was a big hit! I think the addition of the lime zest was brilliant! I used low fat sour cream, but no one knew the difference! Thanks for the great recipe, I will surely make this again!!!
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet red pepper (and/or yellow sweet pepper)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 2 finely chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoon shredded lime peel
- 1 (8 ounce) jar chunky salsa
- 1⁄2 medium avocado, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 2⁄3 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pitted ripe olives
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro or 1 tablespoon parsley (optional)
- 16 ounces homemade tortilla chips or 16 ounces store bought tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 12-inch platter with the shredded lettuce.
- Stir together black beans, sweet pepper, and green onions.
- Spoon atop lettuce, leaving a lettuce border.
- Dollop sour cream atop bean mixture; gently spread in a smooth layer atop beans, leaving a border.
- Sprinkle with jalapeno peppers and lime peel.
- Drain excess liquid from salsa.
- Stir in avocado; spoon atop sour cream layer, leaving a border.
- Sprinkle cheese atop.
- Top with a layer of chopped ripe olives and sprinkle with cilantro or parsley, if desired.
- Serve immediately or cover and chill for up to 6 hours.
- Serve with Homemade Tortilla Chips or purchased chips.
- Makes about 32 appetizer servings.
- Homemade Tortilla Chips: Cut ten 6-inch flour tortillas into wedges.
- Place in single layers on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 10 to 15 minutes or until dry and crisp.
- Make-Ahead Tips: Prepare and bake Homemade Tortilla Chips.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 24 hours.
- Prepare layered dip.
- Cover and chill up to 6 hours.