Recipe by Bobtail
I believe I got this off of the Internet, but don't know what website. This is a yummy side dish that could easily be made into a main entree by adding an extra layer of ground beef (browned) or left over chicken. It takes a little effort, but is worth it. I made this last year when I was trying to use up a 5 lb. bag of egg noodles. Do you have any idea how long a 5 lb. bag can last you? So glad I stumbled across this recipe! Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by Pvt Amys Mom
This is good. I am not sure exactly how to describe it. The prominent flavor is the spinach. I halved the recipe and baked it in a loaf pan and I omitted the mushrooms as we dont like them - but other than that, I followed the instructions exactly. I found I only needed about 1/2 of the noodles. Every bite is different and there is quite a mix of flavors with the hashbrowns, cheeses, 2 different onions, spinach and noodles. It is quite buttery, I would prob cut down on the butter next time. I did not need to put it under the broiler, it browned up very nicely in the oven. I will make this again. Thank you for posting the recipe.
- 1 (12 ounce) packagehomestyle egg noodles
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, melted
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (20 ounce) packageshredded potatoes
- 1⁄2 lb asiago 3-cheese blend or 1⁄2 lb Italian cheese blend, shredded
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
- 1 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook noodles according to directions on package, drain and set aside.
- Saute butter, mushrooms, onions, garlic, salt and pepper for approximately 5 minutes or until onions are transparent.
- Set aside.
- Grease 9" springform pan.
- Assemble in layers, pressing firmly.
- Order of layers
- 1/2 pkg of potatoes
- All of the noodles
- 1/2 of cheese mixture
- Mushroom-onion-garlic mixture
- Melted butter
- Remaining potatoes
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Top with remaining cheese, green onions and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake an additional 30 minutes.
- The last 2-3 minutes, brown the top under the broiler.
- Cool 30-40 minutes.
- Remove side of pan and slice into wedges.