Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe was made every holiday by my late aunt. I'm not a great cook, but this is so easy and so delicious that it's my "assigned" dish at every family get-together!
- fresh spinach
- 1 purple onion, sliced into rings
- 4 -5 eggs, hard boiled
- 1 can small English pea, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces mayonnaise
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 6 -8 slices bacon
- Fry 6-8 pieces of bacon, drain on paper towels, and crumble. Set aside for garnish.
- Hard boil the eggs.
- In a large clear glass trifle bowl, layer the spinach, lettuce, sliced onions, sliced eggs, peas and cheese.
- Mix mayonnaise and sour cream and spread on top.
- Sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
Wonderful! Thank you for such an easy and delicious recipe! I used LeSueur small peas as these were in my pantry. I didn't use the cheese and subsituted bacon with maple bacon crumbles. I also used light mayo and light sour cream - perfect. Finally, I chopped green onion instead of the red. So flavorful we couldn't get enough!
This is truly a very good salad. However, if you want to make it just a little better, add diced fresh tomatoes as another layer. It really makes a wonderful difference. Also, use chopped green onions instead of purple onion. GREAT!
Great salad. I have a similar recipe using crisp iceberg lettuce. A mix of iceberg, romaine and spinach is also nice. To keep the leftover salad for the next day, I seal it with a little more mayonnaise. Instead of English peas I used a can of tiny sweet peas, drained.