Recipe by carolinafan
Can substitute 3/4 pound of bulk turkey Italian sausage and reduced fat mozzarella cheese if you prefer a less fattening dish.
Top Review by KittyKitty
Very good. The simplicity of the flavors was excellent, nothing had to compete with anything else, you could taste each seperately, but they blended very well together at the same time. Very good, thanks
- 3 cups uncooked rigatoni pasta (9 ounces)
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced fresh mushrooms (3 cups)
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (10 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375. Spray rectangular baking dish, 13x9x2 inches, with cooking spray. Cook and drain pasta as directed on package.
- While pasta is cooking, cook sausage in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink, drain. Mix tomatoes, garlic and basil.
- Layer half each of the pasta, sausage, mushrooms, bell peppers, Parmesan cheese, tomato mixture and mozzarella cheese in baking dish. Repeat layers.
- Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes or until hot and cheese is golden brown.