Recipe by Bake-a-holic!!!
Make this in a clear dish! It is SO pretty and people will be asking how you cut the Jello into such thin and even layers! Cooking time is total time for all the layers to set. Each layer takes about 30-45 minutes to set so it is best to place the white mixture over a pot of hot water to prevent it from getting hard while you are waiting for the Jello to harden.
Top Review by gemgal
This looks impressive to kids and for sure all the adults,. Great for the Holiday's, including Easter. It really is not difficult, once you get going. Set timer for each layer to firm up. Drizzle on next layer so as to not "dig up" the one below. It is a snap. Make this while you are cooking other stuff in the kitchen. Make at least night before to fully set up. For a "precise" look measure out your layers with a measuring cup. Do make it in a clear glass dish like the one shown here. Being the oldest of 10 Kids, my mom made the most of this recipe and we loved it everytime. If you add ice in place of 1/2 your water allotment you will cut your time drastically. I am done in a few hours. It has been a while since I have made it for my kids and I am grateful to find this recipe again. Thanks Bake-a-holic!!
- 4 (3 ounce) packages Jello gelatin (each a DIFFERENT color, I usually use red, green, orange and yellow)
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 1⁄4 cups cold water
- 1 pint sour cream
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes gelatin
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve 1 package Jello in 1 cup boiling water; add 1/2 cup cold water. Pour into a 9x12x2 inch pan and put into the refrigerator to set until firm.
- Bring 2 cups of milk to a boil, mix in a cup of sugar until sugar is dissolved; dissolve 2 envelopes of Knox gelatin in 1/4 cup of cold water and add to mixture; add 2 cups sour cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla until blended.
- When mixture is fairly cool, pour 1-1/2 cups on top of first Jello layer; return pan to refrigerator until white layer is firm and completely set.
- Mix next package of Jello as indicated in step 1; pour onto completely set white layer; return to refrigerator and allow to set completely.
- Again add 1-1/2 cups white mixture and return to refrigerator and allow to set completely.
- Mix third package of Jello as indicated in step 1; pour onto completely set white layer; return to refrigerator and allow to set completely.
- Add remaining white mixture; return to refrigerator and allow to set completely.
- Mix the last package of Jello as indicated in step 1 and pour onto completely set white layer; return to refrigerator and allow to set until firm.