Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a low fat version that I have been experimenting with the last few months. It is quite d'lish and we prefer it above the full fat versions. I like to serve it in smaller portion control bowls and give each person their own; that has been a real hit! People really seem to love the fact they have their own little dip for double dipping!
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 avocados, ripe, preferably Haas
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, finely chopped (with seeds for more heat)
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups Greek yogurt
- 3 tomatoes, Roma, ripe medium diced
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green)
- On a cutting board, smash the garlic cloves, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the salt, and, with the flat side of a large knife, mash and smear the mixture to a coarse paste.
- Put the garlic, beans, chili powder, water, and olive oil in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spread in the bottom of a 2 quart casserole or in individual sized dishes.
- Scatter the cheese over the beans.
- Halve and seed the avocados, then mash with the jalapeño and another teaspoon of salt in a small bowl.
- Spread a layer of the avocado over the cheese, and then scatter the lettuce on top.
- Mix the yogurt with the cilantro and then spread over the lettuce.
- Add a layer of tomatoes and finally scatter the scallions on top.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
This was amazing! I made it for Grandson's party,those guys just ate it up fAST! loved it.will be making again soon.Thank you for posting.Best seven-layer dip yet. Rose of Sharon