Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A very simple and easy dish from my mother in law.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (raw)
- 3⁄4 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 2 carrots, chopped into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn
- salt and pepper
- 1 jar of homemade canned tomato
- Spread beef on the bottom of a greased casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with a bit of pepper and onion soup mix.
- Spread rice over beef.
- Spread onions over rice.
- Spread potatoes over onions.
- Spread carrots over potatoes.
- Place corn over carrots and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour tomatoes, with juice, over the entire casserole- chopping the tomatoes if necessary.
- Cover and cook at 350 for about 60 minutes.
I liked this recipe very much. I added a can of cream of mushroom soup because I didn't think there was enough liquid for the rice. Well, after the 60 min cooking time the rice and potatoes were not done. I cooked an additional 60 mins and still not done. I then added water and cooked a little longer then it was finally done. Next time I think I will cook the rice before I add it to the caserole or leave it out all together.