Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is courtesy of Kraft foods. It's really different and alway goes over great! I use Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce for this and also suggest very sturdy chips such as Frito Scoops or authentic torilla chips as the the thinner chips tend to break when you try to scoop this delicious dip! (Cook time is the time to cook bacon if not using jarred real bacon pieces)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened.
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 (3 ounce) jar hormel real bacon bits or 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 small tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced green pepper
- 1⁄3 cup sliced green onion
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Spread cream cheese on 12 inch platter or pizza pan.
- Top with BBQ sauce.
- Sprinkle with bacon pieces, tomato, green pepper, onions and cheese.
- Serve with chips.
Used real bacon instead of bacon bits, brought to a party and got rave reviews.
I made this as one of several appetizers for a party last night. While the flavor was good, it wasn't the favorite dish served. I think that my choice of barbeque sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's original) was in error. It made this very sweet. I think that taking our tastes into account, I should have used a spicier sauce to kick this up for us. I didn't have green onions on hand, and used red, instead. I also used a bit more peppers, onions and bacon. The combo of flavors is good and a little different from the appys we traditionally serve.