Recipe by Olha
These crisp, grainy crackers taste great with cheese spread or mushroom pate.
Top Review by sugarpea
This was surprisingly quick and easy to make. I made 1/2 recipe and used a knife to cut the dough into rectangles rather than rounds, so that helped cut down on the work and time. Both of us really liked these tasty crackers. They reminded me very much of pie crust. I did have to add an extra T of milk.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Grease 2 baking sheets or cover with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add the egg and 2 tablespoons of the milk.
- Mix to make a stiff dough, adding the remaining milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary.
- Gather the dough into a ball, flatten it slightly, and place on a lightly floured surface and roll the dough out to 1/8inch thickness.
- Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out circles from the dough; place on the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Re-roll the trimmings and cut out more circles.
- Continue until the dough is used up.
- Brush the crackers with the beaten egg white, then sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Makes about 72 crackers.
- The Great Holiday Baking Book.