Recipe by I'mPat
From Recipe Magazine April 2009 - sounds and looks like a perfect breakfast for a diabetic (protien and veg. and if you want/need the carb add a slice of toast). I have changed the recipe a little - they cooked the egg/omelet first and then the veg but thought it was better to cook the veg first and keep warm in the oven. They also recommended the use of mixed frozen vegies, thawed especially if you can get them at a discounted price.
Top Review by Member #610488
I just don't have the patience to wait when it comes to being hungry first thing in the morning. That said, this recipe makes a great scramble with the veggies being fried first and then adding the eggs. Scramble it all together and it comes out perfect. Mouthwatering and very filling!!
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (toasted)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 50 g oyster mushrooms (thinly sliced, think small buttons would work o'kay)
- 1⁄4 medium red capsicum (bell pepper thinly sliced)
- 40 g snow peas (trimmed and thinly sliced)
- 2 green onions (spring onions or scallions green part only thinly sliced on the diagonal)
- 1⁄4 cup bean sprouts
- 1 -2 tablespoon oyster sauce (recommend you have at room temperature if you keep in the fridge)
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves (optional, personally would omit, don't like)
- 1 fresh chili pepper (deseeded and finely sliced) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put 1 teaspoon of sesame oil in a skillet or wok and swirl to coat.
- Stir fry mushrooms, capsicum, snow peas and onion for 1 to 2 minutes or until vegies are tender, add bean sprouts and stir through.
- Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Whisk eggs, sesame seeds and 2 tablespoons water in a jug.
- Heat 1 tablespoons sesame oil in a wok or skillet over moderately high heat.
- Add egg and tilt to cover the base and sides, cooking for 3 minutes or until just set.
- Transfer to plate, add vegetable to half of omelet and fold other half over, drizzle with oyster sauce (you may wish to warm in the microwave first) and top with coriander and chilli if using.
- Serve with jasmine or green tea if your like.