Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 mins
From Woman's Day-Oct. 1996 Note: August 17th, 2011 -- Update: This makes a large salad. I made it in my 4 quart pyrex glass bowl. The dressing makes a 1 1/4 cups, it is tangy from the rice vinegar and has a mustardy, sesame flavor. I made the dressing 3 hours before serving and put in the refrigerator to chill. Added dressing to salad just before serving. My family really enjoyed this and loved the flavors.
- 1⁄2 cup Chinese white rice vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 inch thick piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons dark oriental sesame oil
- 3 cucumbers, rinsed, ends trimmed, halved lengthwise
- 6 red radishes
- 4 medium carrots, peeled
- 16 ounces white mushrooms, wiped cleaned and quarted
- 8 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Put first seven ingredients for dressing in a blender or food processor. Process until ginger and garlic finely chopped. Add oil slowly processing until well blended. Put into a jar and refrigerate.
- Slice cucumbers and radishes thinly, put into bowl. Shred carrots into bowl.
- Add quartered mushrooms and chopped scallions. Mix vegetables. May refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Over medium heat toast sesame seeds for 2 to 3 minutes.
- To Serve:.
- Add dressing to vegetables, mix and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
Tasty simple salad. I made 1 serving and cut the dressing way back based on other reviews. I julienned my carrot rather than grating it, but made as directed otherwise. Thanks MomLuvs6 for a nice lunch. Made by an Unruly Under the Influence for ZWT6 Zingo.
This is a nice change from the usual tossed salads. It's colorful, crunchy and tasty. I made this exactly according to the recipe. Loved the dressing. Thanx!
I took everyone's suggestion and cut the amount of dressing in half. I then just made a smaller salad using about 1/2 a cucumber, 4 radishes, and 5 mushrooms. I then just put on enough dressing to wet the salad nicely. While it was a fine side-dish, I found the dressing to be too mustardy (and I didn't even put as much as it called for) so I added more oil when mellowed the flavors, then I added a little extra sugar. Thanks for sharing, MomLuvs6! Made for ZWT6 for ZINGO for Team SSaSSy.