- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread sesame seeds on baking sheet; bake in 350F oven for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Reserve half of the seeds; sprinkle remaining seeds over well-greased 13x9 cake pan; set aside.
- In saucepan, bring butter, sugars and water to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cook, stirring often, until candy thermometer reaches soft-crack stage of 285F and when 1/2 tsp syrup dropped into very cold water separates into threads that are hard but not brittle.
- Immediately remove from heat; stir in baking soda.
- Pour over sesame seeds in prepared pan; let cool 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with reserved sesame seeds, pressing lightly into toffee.
- Let cool until firm; break into pieces.
- Store toffee between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; keeps for about 1 month.