Recipe by ellie_
Not too sweet coffee cake is perfect with coffee or for breakfast. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit (November 1983)
Top Review by Sackville
This cake has a very unique flavour -- nutty but sweet at the same time. It's one of those recipes that if no one told you what was in it you would have trouble figuring it out. It bakes up perfectly, nice and light. A real treat with my morning coffee. Thanks!
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed (for topping)
- 1⁄4 flour (for topping)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, room temp (for topping)
- 1 tablespoon tahini (for topping)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (for topping)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees F.
- Grease and flour 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Cream 1/2 cup butter or margine, tahini and sesame oil in large bowl together.
- Beat in sugar and eggs.
- Blend in vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in small bowl.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk to creamed mixture, stirring until blended.
- Fold in 3 T toasted sesame seeds.
- In seperate bowl make streusel topping.
- Blend brown sugar, flour, butter, tahini and cinnamon in small bowl until mixture is crumbly.
- Turn batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with streusel topping.
- Top with 2 tsp sesame seeds.
- Bake 75-90 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.