Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Not too sweet coffee cake is perfect with coffee or for breakfast. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit (November 1983)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed (for topping)
- 1⁄4 flour (for topping)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, room temp (for topping)
- 1 tablespoon tahini (for topping)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (for topping)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees F.
- Grease and flour 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Cream 1/2 cup butter or margine, tahini and sesame oil in large bowl together.
- Beat in sugar and eggs.
- Blend in vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in small bowl.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk to creamed mixture, stirring until blended.
- Fold in 3 T toasted sesame seeds.
- In seperate bowl make streusel topping.
- Blend brown sugar, flour, butter, tahini and cinnamon in small bowl until mixture is crumbly.
- Turn batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with streusel topping.
- Top with 2 tsp sesame seeds.
- Bake 75-90 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
This cake has a very unique flavour -- nutty but sweet at the same time. It's one of those recipes that if no one told you what was in it you would have trouble figuring it out. It bakes up perfectly, nice and light. A real treat with my morning coffee. Thanks!
Lovely, not overly sweet cake that makes a beautiful presentation, too! Baked to perfection at 160 C in 80 minutes. Next time I think I'll bake this in a shallow pan and cut into bars - just being lazy: while turning this cake from the pan onto a platter and then turning it the right side up again the streusel sprinkled everywhere! So, I thought the bar form might save me some counter wiping! ;-)A wonderful recipe, thank you for sharing, ellie2!