Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 mins
One of the starring appetizers in Canadian Living's cookbook The Complete Christmas Book. Prep time may take a bit longer depending on ease of peeling the shrimp. If wasabi paste isn't available, and powdered wasabi is, mix 4 tsp powder with 2 tsp water to form a paste.
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb, processed fine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 30 large shrimp, peeled, deveined (approximately)
- 1⁄2 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Stir 1 tbsp mayonnaise with wasabi until smooth. Stir in remainder of mayo, 1 tbsp at a time.
- Stir in lime juice, chives and sesame oil. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, stir together sesame seeds, bread crumbs and salt. Set aside.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Add shrimp and mix until they are fully coated.
- Press each shrimp into sesame seed mixture to coat and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Broil 4-5 inches from heat, about 2 minutes per side. Shrimp should turn pink and the coating turn golden.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
Easy and delicious. Love the wasabi mayo sauce!