Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the book The Seventh Daughter, by Cecilia Chiang.
- 1 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, with tails attached
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 -3 cups white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chinese rice wine
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil, plus additional for deep frying
- 1 cup water
Chinese honey-mustard dipping sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- To make sauce - whisk together the mustard, honey, oil and soy sauce until well combined. Set aside until ready to serve.
- In a bowl, gently mix the shrimp with salt to coat salt.
- Cover with cold water, slosh around a few times, drain the shrimp well, and then transfer to a cutting board.
- Line up 3 shallow bowls and put 1 cup flour in one.
- In the second, whisk together sesame oil, wine, eggs, cornstarch, baking soda and the remaining 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of the peanut oil and the 1 cup of water until well combined.
- In the third bowl, add sesame seeds.
- Heat a wok or large pot with peanut oil for deep frying over high heat until 360°F
- Work in batches of 4-5 shrimp at a time. For each shrimp, hold by tail, dip in flour, then batter, then sesame seeds.
- Deep fry in batches of 4-5 shrimp until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Serve with dipping sauce.