From the book The Seventh Daughter, by Cecilia Chiang.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, with tails attached
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 -3 cups white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chinese rice wine
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup peanut oil, plus additional for deep frying
- 1 cup water
Chinese honey-mustard dipping sauce
- 1To make sauce - whisk together the mustard, honey, oil and soy sauce until well combined. Set aside until ready to serve.
- 2In a bowl, gently mix the shrimp with salt to coat salt.
- 3Cover with cold water, slosh around a few times, drain the shrimp well, and then transfer to a cutting board.
- 4Line up 3 shallow bowls and put 1 cup flour in one.
- 5In the second, whisk together sesame oil, wine, eggs, cornstarch, baking soda and the remaining 1/2 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of the peanut oil and the 1 cup of water until well combined.
- 6In the third bowl, add sesame seeds.
- 7Heat a wok or large pot with peanut oil for deep frying over high heat until 360°F
- 8Work in batches of 4-5 shrimp at a time. For each shrimp, hold by tail, dip in flour, then batter, then sesame seeds.
- 9Deep fry in batches of 4-5 shrimp until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- 10Serve with dipping sauce.
Browse Our Top Chinese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chinese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sesame Shrimp With Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 778.0
- Calories from Fat 456
- Total Fat 50.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 185.7 mg
- Sodium 1386.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 30.3 g