Recipe by Andtototoo!
This is a tasty rice recipe that goes well with green bean curry. Cooking time does not include the time to cook the rice.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons split white Urad Dal
- 4 dried red chilies, broken into 2-3 pieces each
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hing
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- salt, as needed
- 4 cups cooked rice
- nuts, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the tamarind concentrate with the hot water and set aside.
- Dry fry the sesame seeds in a frying pan until they are lightly browned and then powder in a coffee grinder. Set aside.
- In the same frying pan put the oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, dried chilies, and fenugreek (methi) seeds and heat over high heat until the dal is light brown.
- Quickly reduce heat to low and add the hing, turmeric, sesame seed powder and the tamerind-water mixture. Add salt and blend for 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked rice and mix well.
- Turn off heat.
- You may garnish the top with roasted peanuts or roasted cashews.