Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
from Jamie Oliver Because it is a condiment, the serving amounts are total guesswork on my part.
- Toast seeds in a fry pan over low heat.
- Shake pan occasionally till they turn golden brown.
- Transfer to a mortar, add salt.
- Use pestle to grind mixture, releasing sesame oil into salt.
- Sprinkle on rice, vegetables, fish or salad.
I made this for ZWT9's Greek Wedding Challenge Parting Gift. I love the flavor this simple condiment adds to steamed veggies.
So quick and easy to make, I can see this having so many uses. While I have not yet tried it on my food, I wetted my finger and had a taste. The salt has a fantastic sesame infused flavor. I can't wait to try this on ahi tuna. Made for ZWT9 parting gifts challenge.
This is lovely on a burger, which is the way I tried it first! My mortar and pestle are packed away, so I used the back end of a wooden spoon; my technique leaves something to be desired. The result was a slightly sesame flavored salt...I think it would nicely flavor rice or noodles, subtly and I'll bet I can think of tons of other uses. Thanks for sharing a great recipe, katew!