A relatively quick way to have a flavorful vegetarian dinner. This dish is a meal within itself. This recipe is adapted from Favorite Brand Name Fresh Foods cookbook.
- 1 spaghetti squash (3 pounds)
- 1⁄3 cup sesame seeds
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon peanut oil
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut on the diagnoal in 1-inch lengths
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped peanuts
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- With a long fork, pierce the whole spaghetti squash several times.
- Place in microwave and microwave for 5 minutes on high.
- Turn and continue to microwave for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and allow to stand while prepareing remaining ingredients.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat until hot and add sesame seeds.
- Cook and stir for 45 seconds or until golden brown.
- Place the toasted seasame seeds in blender along with vegetable cube, hot water, soy sauce, sugar, seasame oil, cornstarch, red pepper flakes and Worcestershire sauce.
- Process until mixture is coarsely pureed.
- Heat wok over medium-high heat for 1 minute or until hot; add peanut oil and heat for 30 seconds.
- Add asparagus; stir-fry 2 minutes add carrots and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add the red bell pepper and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in seasame seed mixture and cook 1 minute or until sauce is thickened.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- With a fork break the squash up into strings and divide on individual serving plates.
- Top the squash with the seasame mixture, garnish with chopped peanuts and cilantro tossing to coat.
- Serve immediately.