Recipe by Aunt Cookie
I got this from "Great Whole Grain Breads" by Beatrice Ojakangas. As a yeasted bread, this is a wee bit time consuming. It's a great bread for breakfast, though, toasted with butter. You can make this loaf vegan by substituting margarine or oil for the butter. Also, if you can't find whole wheat bread flour, just use unbleached white flour instead. Enjoy!
Top Review by loof
This is a wonderful hearty and delicious bread! Love the added taste and texture of the sesame seeds. The cinnamon provides a nice flavor and the bread is not at all sweet. As you said, great toasted with butter, also great with peanut butter. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for My3Chefs 2013
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (1 package)
- 1⁄2 cup warm water, 105 F - 155 F
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the boiling water and rolled oats in a large bowl.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a small frying pan, stirring frequently, until golden brown (3-5 minutes). Add the seeds to the oats.
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar and let it stand 5 minutes until yeast bubbles (if the yeast doesn't bubble, it probably isn't active. Don't try to bake bread with this!).
- Stir in the butter, salt, and cooled oat mixture.
- Add whole wheat bread flour and beat in the all-purpose flour until the mixture makes a stiff dough. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Wash and grease the bowl, then add the dough to the bowl; turn over to grease the top. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Punch the dough down and divide in half. Roll each out to make a rectangle 8 x 12 inches; sprinkle both halves with the cinnamon.
- Roll up tightly, pinching the seams and ends to seal.
- Grease 2 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pans (medium loaf pans). Let the loaves rise in the greased pans until doubled (about 45-60 minutes).
- Heat oven to 375°F Bake until the loaves are golden and sound hollow when tapped, 30-35 minutes.
- Remove immediately from pans, and cool on a rack.