1/1 Photo of Sesame-Oat Cinnamon Swirl Loaf
4 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
Aunt Cookie's Note:
I got this from "Great Whole Grain Breads" by Beatrice Ojakangas. As a yeasted bread, this is a wee bit time consuming. It's a great bread for breakfast, though, toasted with butter. You can make this loaf vegan by substituting margarine or oil for the butter. Also, if you can't find whole wheat bread flour, just use unbleached white flour instead. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast (1 package)
- 1/2 cup warm water, 105 F - 155 F
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 -4 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1Combine the boiling water and rolled oats in a large bowl.
- 2Toast the sesame seeds in a small frying pan, stirring frequently, until golden brown (3-5 minutes). Add the seeds to the oats.
- 3In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar and let it stand 5 minutes until yeast bubbles (if the yeast doesn't bubble, it probably isn't active. Don't try to bake bread with this!).
- 4Stir in the butter, salt, and cooled oat mixture.
- 5Add whole wheat bread flour and beat in the all-purpose flour until the mixture makes a stiff dough. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- 6Wash and grease the bowl, then add the dough to the bowl; turn over to grease the top. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
- 7Punch the dough down and divide in half. Roll each out to make a rectangle 8 x 12 inches; sprinkle both halves with the cinnamon.
- 8Roll up tightly, pinching the seams and ends to seal.
- 9Grease 2 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pans (medium loaf pans). Let the loaves rise in the greased pans until doubled (about 45-60 minutes).
- 10Heat oven to 375°F Bake until the loaves are golden and sound hollow when tapped, 30-35 minutes.
- 11Remove immediately from pans, and cool on a rack.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sesame-Oat Cinnamon Swirl Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (1386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1813.3
- Calories from Fat 425
- Total Fat 47.2 g
- Saturated Fat 18.1 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 2566.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 307.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.9 g
- Sugars 54.7 g
- Protein 44.3 g