Adapted from America's Test Kitchen _Cooking For Two 2009_. The recipe in the book does not make enough sauce; I have doubled the sauce ingredients here. If it's still not enough next time, I might increase them further. Commercial chunky peanut butter is better than natural or old-fashioned, because it has a bit more sweetness. This can be served cold or hot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted, divided
- 1/4 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced finely
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (sriracha or other Asian style hot sauce preferred)
- 4 -6 tablespoons hot water
- 8 ounces cooked chicken, shredded
- 1/3 lb spaghetti or 1/2 lb fresh Chinese noodles
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced across 1/4-inch wide
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 2 scallions, sliced thinly on the bias
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaf (optional)
- 1In a blender, combine soy sauce, 3 tbsp sesame seeds, peanut butter, rice vinegar, brown sugar, 1 tbsp sesame oil, ginger, garlic and hot sauce. Process until smooth. With the blades still running, add hot water, 1 tbsp at a time, until the sauce has the thickness of heavy cream.
- 2If serving hot, heat the chicken without overcooking it (1 minute or so in the microwave on high should do).
- 3Cook the pasta in 4 qts of salted water until tender. Reserve 1/2 c of pasta water before draining. If serving cold, rinse under cold running water until cold.
- 4Transfer noodles to a large bowl and toss with remaining 1 tbsp sesame oil. Add sauce, chicken, bell pepper, cucumber, carrot, scallions and cilantro if using. Toss well to combine. If the sauce looks too thick, drizzle with reserved pasta water and toss again; repeat until desired consistency is achieved. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tbsp sesame seeds and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sesame Noodles With Shredded Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1008.6
- Calories from Fat 429
- Total Fat 47.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 2824.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 23.3 g
- Protein 55.5 g