Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
My niece's version of this classic recipe, it tastes fantastic and is quick and easy! You can also top this with cooked tofu and serve with a vegetable side dish for a healthful vegan dinner:D Adjust heat according to taste, and if you prefer a sweeter taste, swirl in a tablespoon of honey with the tahini and peanut butter.
- 16 ounces whole wheat spaghetti or 16 ounces spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or 3 -5 drops sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons tahini sauce
- 1⁄3 cup peanut butter (preferably natural chunky style)
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 5 -7 tablespoons hot water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 scallions, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions.
- saute garlic and hot pepper in oil for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix in tahini and peanut butter, then whisk in warm water until the sauce is a creamy consistency (depending on the peanut butter you use and personal preference).
- Taste and add pepper, salt or more red pepper or hot sauce as desired.
- Toss with pasta and garnish with scallions, cilantro, cucumber then serve with lime wedges.
Where is the SESAME??
I'm giving this 5 stars because it received a seal of approval from our 3-year old daughter ~Tasty Dish~. who had two large helpings. I omitted the red pepper flakes and added 1/4 teaspoon sambal oelek. Organic soba noodles replaced spaghetti. This was delicious and very much reminded me of a cheater's version of pad thai. Next time I"ll add Thai basil. Easy and quick to prepare, too. Reviewed for ZWT 2010.