Recipe by kcjt062905
Here we toss tempeh with a honey-sesame sauce and serve it over quinoa and shredded carrots for a satisfying vegetarian meal. Serve with sesame breadsticks. Tip: To toast sesame seeds, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Ingredient Note: Look for tempeh near refrigerated tofu in natural-foods stores and many large supermarkets.
Top Review by Amy Elizabeth
Fabulous recipe! Thank you for sharing. The only change I made was to use veggie broth with the quinoa, we just always do. We also used 8 oz of tempeh as we were dividing the recipe between 8 people. But I followed the rest of the recipe exactly and I really loved this. This is some of the best tempeh I have ever had and the combination of flavor and textures was out of this world!
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 ounces tempeh
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 scallions
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare quinoa: Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer, cover and cook until the water is absorbed, 10 to 14 minutes. Uncover and let stand.
- To prepare carrot slaw: Meanwhile, combine carrots, rice vinegar, sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon soy sauce in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- To prepare tempeh: Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Combine honey, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons water and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan and cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened and coats the tempeh, about 1 minute.
- Divide the quinoa among 4 bowls and top each with 1/2 cup carrot slaw and 3/4 cup tempeh mixture. Sprinkle with scallions.